For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) CERTIFYING BOARDS. Those boards designated in subdivision (3) of Section 20-2-2.
(2) CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. Any drug or medication defined as a controlled substance within the meaning of subdivision (4) of Section 20-2-2.
(3) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Public Health.
(4) LICENSING BOARD OR COMMISSION. The board, commission, or other entity that is authorized to issue a professional license to a pharmacist or an authorized practitioner.
(5) PHARMACY. A retail establishment, as defined in subdivision (18) of Section 34-23-1, licensed by the Alabama State Board of Pharmacy.
(6) PRACTITIONER or AUTHORIZED PRACTITIONER. A medical, dental, podiatric, optometric, or veterinary medical practitioner licensed to practice in this state and authorized to prescribe, dispense, or furnish controlled substances under the Alabama Uniform Controlled Substances Act.
(7) STATE HEALTH OFFICER. The executive officer of the Alabama Department of Public Health as designated in Section 22-2-8.