(a) When a merger takes effect:
(1) Every other corporation party to the merger merges into the surviving corporation and the separate existence of every corporation except the surviving corporation ceases;
(2) The surviving corporation thereupon and thereafter possesses all the rights, immunities, and franchises, of a public as well as of a private nature, of every corporation party to the merger; and all property, real, personal and mixed, and all debts due each of the corporations so merged, are taken and deemed to be transferred and vested in the surviving corporation without further act or deed; and title to any real estate, or an interest therein, vested in any of the corporations shall not revert nor in any way be impaired by reason of the merger;
(3) The surviving corporation shall be responsible and liable for all the liabilities and obligations of each corporation party to the merger; and neither the rights of creditors nor any liens upon the property of any corporation party to the merger shall be impaired by the merger;
(4) Any claim existing or action or proceeding pending by or against any corporation party to the merger may be prosecuted, or continued, as if the merger had not taken place, or the surviving corporation may be substituted in the action or proceeding for the corporation whose existence ceased;
(5) The articles of incorporation of the surviving corporation are amended to the extent provided in the plan of merger; and
(6) The shares of each corporation party to the merger that are to be converted into shares, obligations, or other securities of the surviving or any other corporation or into cash or other property are converted and the former holders of the shares are entitled only to the rights provided in the articles of merger or to their rights under Article 13.
(b) When a share exchange takes effect, the shares of each acquired corporation are exchanged as provided in the plan, and the former holders of the shares are entitled only to the exchange rights provided in the articles of share exchange or to their rights under Article 13.