The duties of the Superintendent of Public Works are:
(1) Faithfully to obey and carry out the orders and directions of the county commission;
(2) To see that the convicts committed to him labor faithfully;
(3) Not to overwork or maltreat the convicts;
(4) To see that the food and clothing delivered to him for the convicts are given to them at the proper time;
(5) To see that they are properly housed in inclement weather;
(6) To have proper medicine and medical attention bestowed on them when necessary; and
(7) Not voluntarily or negligently to permit them to escape.