As used in this chapter the following terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) CLAIMS. In respect of a protected person, includes liabilities of the protected person, whether arising in contract, tort, or otherwise, and liabilities of the estate which arise at or after the appointment of a conservator, including expenses of administration.
(2) CONSERVATOR. A person who is appointed by a court to manage the estate of a protected person and includes a limited conservator described in Section 26-2A-148(a).
(3) COURT. A probate court of this state.
(4) COURT REPRESENTATIVE. A person appointed in a guardianship or protective proceeding who is trained in law, nursing, or social work, is an officer, employee, or special appointee of the court, and has no personal interest in the proceeding.
(5) DISABILITY. Cause for a protective order as described in Section 26-2A-130.
(6) ESTATE. Includes the property of the person whose affairs are subject to this chapter.
(7) GUARDIAN. A person who has qualified as a guardian of a minor or incapacitated person pursuant to parental or spousal nomination or court appointment and includes a limited guardian as described in Sections 26-2A-78(e) and 26-2A-105(c), but excludes one who is merely a guardian ad litem.
(8) INCAPACITATED PERSON. Any person who is impaired by reason of mental illness, mental deficiency, physical illness or disability, physical or mental infirmities accompanying advanced age, chronic use of drugs, chronic intoxication, or other cause (except minority) to the extent of lacking sufficient understanding or capacity to make or communicate responsible decisions.
(9) LEASE. Includes an oil, gas, or other mineral lease.
(10) LETTERS. Includes letters of guardianships and letters of conservatorship.
(11) MINOR. A person who is under 19 years of age and has not otherwise had the disabilities of minority removed.
(12) MORTGAGE. Any conveyance, agreement, or arrangement in which property is used as collateral.
(13) ORGANIZATION. Includes a corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, government, governmental subdivision or agency, or any other legal entity.
(14) PARENT. Includes any person entitled to take, or who would be entitled to take if the child died without a will, as a parent by intestate succession from the child whose relationship is in question and excludes any person who is only a stepparent, foster parent, or grandparent.
(15) PERSON. An individual or an organization, unless the context otherwise requires.
(16) PETITION. A written request to the court for an order after notice.
(17) PROCEEDING. Includes action at law and suit in equity.
(18) PROPERTY. Includes both real and personal property or any interest therein and means anything that may be the subject of ownership.
(19) PROTECTED PERSON. A minor or other person for whom a conservator has been appointed or other protective order has been made as provided in Sections 26-2A-136 and 26-2A-137.
(20) PROTECTIVE PROCEEDING. A proceeding under the provisions of Article 2, Division 3.
(21) SECURITY. Includes any note, stock, treasury stock, bond, debenture, evidence of indebtedness, certificate of interest or participation in an oil, gas, or mining title or lease or in payments out of production under such a title or lease, collateral trust certificate, transferable share, voting trust certificate or, in general, any interest or instrument commonly known as a security, or any certificate of interest or participation, any temporary or interim certificate, receipt or certificate of deposit for, or any warrant or right to subscribe to or purchase any of the foregoing.
(22) WARD. A person for whom a guardian has been appointed. A "minor ward" is a minor for whom a guardian has been appointed solely because of minority.