For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) ADVISORY COUNCILS. Advisory councils provided for under the terms of this chapter.
(2) BOARD. The Board of Nursing created hereunder.
(3) COMPACT. The Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact provided in Article 7.
(4) COORDINATED LICENSE INFORMATION SYSTEM. A licensing integrated database and process for collecting, storing, and sharing nurse licensure and enforcement information that includes all licensed registered nurses and licensed practical/vocational nurses. The system includes all disciplinary history of each nurse, as administered by a nonprofit organization and controlled by licensing boards.
(5) LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE. A person who is currently licensed to practice practical nursing. For the purposes of the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact, practical nursing includes practice as a licensed practical nurse, licensed vocational nurse, or other similarly qualified licensed nurse in any state participating in the compact.
(6) LICENSED PROFESSIONAL NURSE. A person who is currently licensed to practice professional nursing.
(7) MULTISTATE LICENSE. A license to practice as a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse issued by a home state licensing board that allows a licensed nurse to practice in any state authorized to grant multistate licensure privileges under the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact.
(8) MULTISTATE LICENSURE PRIVILEGE. A legal authorization associated with a multistate license that allows the practice of nursing as a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse in any state participating in the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact.
(9) PRACTICE OF PROFESSIONAL AND PRACTICAL NURSING. Nursing is a profession the practice of which is defined as:
a. Practice of Professional Nursing. The performance, for compensation, of any act in the care and counselling of persons or in the promotion and maintenance of health and prevention of illness and injury based upon the nursing process which includes systematic data gathering, assessment, appropriate nursing judgment and evaluation of human responses to actual or potential health problems through such services as case finding, health teaching, and health counselling; and provision of care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being, and executing medical regimens including administering medications and treatments prescribed by a licensed or otherwise legally authorized physician or dentist. A nursing regimen shall be consistent with and shall not vary any existing medical regimen. Additional acts requiring appropriate education and training designed to maintain access to a level of health care for the consumer may be performed under emergency or other conditions which are recognized by the nursing and medical professions as proper to be performed by a registered nurse.
b. Practice of Practical Nursing. The performance, for compensation, of acts designed to promote and maintain health, prevent illness and injury, and provide care utilizing standardized procedures and the nursing process, including administering medications and treatments, under the direction of a licensed professional nurse or a licensed or otherwise legally authorized physician or dentist. Such practice requires basic knowledge of the biological, physical, and behavioral sciences and of nursing skills but does not require the substantial specialized skill, independent judgment, and knowledge required in the practice of professional nursing. Additional acts requiring appropriate education and training may be performed under emergency or other conditions which are recognized by the nursing and medical professions as proper to be performed by a licensed practical nurse.
(10) SINGLE STATE LICENSE. A nurse license issued by a state participating in the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact that authorizes practice only within the issuing state and does not include a multistate licensure privilege to practice in any other state.