The following words shall have the following meanings as used in this article:
(1) HEALTH BENEFIT PLAN. Any individual or group plan, employee welfare benefit plan, policy, or contract for health care services issued, delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed in this state by a health care insurer, health maintenance organization, accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, nonprofit hospital service corporation, nonprofit medical service corporation, health care service plan, or any other person, firm, corporation, joint venture, or other similar business entity that pays for insureds or beneficiaries in this state. The term includes, but is not limited to, entities created pursuant to Article 6 of Chapter 4 of Title 10. A health benefit plan located or domiciled outside of the State of Alabama is deemed to be subject to this article if it receives, processes, adjudicates, pays, or denies claims for health care services submitted by or on behalf of patients, insureds, or beneficiaries who reside in Alabama.
(2) PHARMACY. A place licensed by the Alabama State Board of Pharmacy in which prescriptions, drugs, medicines, medical devices, chemicals, and poisons are sold, offered for sale, compounded, or dispensed and shall include all places whose title may imply the sale, offering for sale, compounding, or dispensing of prescriptions, drugs, medicines, chemicals, or poisons.
(3) PHARMACY BENEFIT MANAGEMENT PLAN. An arrangement for the delivery of pharmacist services in which a pharmacy benefit manager undertakes to administer the payment or reimbursement of any of the costs of pharmacist services for an enrollee on a prepaid or insured basis that contains one or more incentive arrangements intended to influence the cost or level of pharmacist services between the plan sponsor and one or more pharmacies with respect to the delivery of pharmacist services and requires or creates benefit payment differential incentives for enrollees to use under contract with the pharmacy benefit manager.
(4) PHARMACY BENEFIT MANAGER. A business that administers the prescription drug or device portion of pharmacy benefit management plans or health insurance plans on behalf of plan sponsors, insurance companies, unions, and health maintenance organizations. The term includes a person or entity acting for a pharmacy benefit manager in a contractual or employment relationship in the performance of pharmacy benefits management for a managed care company, nonprofit hospital or medical service organization, insurance company, or third-party payor.
(5) PHARMACIST SERVICES. Offering for sale, compounding, or dispensing of prescriptions, drugs, medicines, chemicals, or poisons pursuant to a prescription. Pharmacist services also includes the sale or provision of, counseling of, or fitting of medical devices, including prosthetics and durable medical equipment.