(a) The board of directors, to the extent authorized by the declaration and governing documents, may do the following:
(1) Suspend a member's right to use facilities or services provided directly through the association for nonpayment of assessments under subdivision (2), to the extent that access to the member's lot is not denied.
(2) Assess reasonable penalties against a member for any violation of the declaration or rules adopted by the board of directors after the member is afforded the opportunity to be heard and represented by counsel before the board of directors.
(b) If a tenant of a member violates the declaration or rules adopted by the board of directors, in addition to exercising any of its powers and rights against the member, the board of directors may do any of the following:
(1) Exercise any of the actions authorized in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) directly against a tenant of a member.
(2) Assess a penalty authorized in subdivision (2) of subsection (a) directly against a tenant after giving notice to the tenant and member and an opportunity to be heard before the board of directors.
(3) Enforce any other rights against the tenant for the violation which the member as landlord could lawfully have exercised under the lease or which the board of directors could have exercised against the unit owner.
(c) The amount of any penalty assessed under this section shall be considered an assessment for purposes of Section 35-20-12.