For the purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) ASSOCIATION. A homeowners' association.
(2) BOARD OF DIRECTORS. The group of persons vested with the management of the association irrespective of the name by which the group is designated.
(3) COMMON AREA. Property within a development which is owned, leased, or required by the declaration to be maintained or operated by a homeowners' association for the use of its members and designated as common area in the declaration or on a recorded subdivision map or plat.
(4) DECLARANT. The person or entity who submits property to a declaration.
(5) DECLARATION. Any instrument, however denominated, including any amendment, modification, restatement, or supplement, recorded in the office of the judge of probate in the county in which the development or any part thereof is located which satisfies the following:
a. Imposes on the association maintenance or operational responsibilities for the common areas.
b. Creates the authority in the association to levy an assessment on lots, the owners or occupants of the lots, or other entities to provide for maintenance or services for the benefit of some or all of the lots in the development, the owners or occupants of the lots, or the common area.
c. Is a covenant running with the land enforceable by and against successors and assigns.
(6) DEVELOPMENT. Real property subject to a declaration that contains lots for residential use and common areas in which any owner is a member of an association and the owner's lot is subject to assessments pursuant to a declaration.
(7) DIRECTOR. A duly elected or appointed member of the board of directors of an association.
(8) HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION. An entity incorporated as a nonprofit corporation pursuant to Chapter 3 of Title 10A, and provided for in a declaration.
(9) LOT. Any parcel of land within a development designated for separate ownership and shown on a recorded subdivision map or plat, other than a common area.
(10) MEMBER. An owner or occupant of a lot in a development subject to a declaration having membership rights as defined in the declaration or other governing documents of the association.
(11) POTENTIAL PURCHASER. A person having a contractual right or option to acquire a lot or a person or entity who intends to execute a mortgage to secure an indebtedness.