When used in this article, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) ALABAMA SHERIFF'S ASSOCIATION. The Alabama Sheriff's Association, as now or hereafter constituted.
(2) ASSOCIATION. The Alabama Peace Officers' Association, as now or hereafter constituted.
(3) ASSOCIATION OF CHIEFS OF POLICE. The Alabama Association of Chiefs of Police, as now or hereafter constituted.
(4) BOARD. The board of commissioners of the fund and any successors thereto.
(5) EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. The executive director of the board.
(6) FUND. The Alabama Peace Officers' Annuity and Benefit Fund created in Section 36-21-66.
(7) MEMBER. Any peace officer who is a member of the fund and who is in good standing by virtue of having paid all sums required by this article to be paid by him.
(8) MEMBERSHIP SERVICE. The period of employment of a member as a peace officer from the date he or she becomes a member.
(9) MONTH. A period of 30 days.
(10) ORDER. The Fraternal Order of Police.
(11) PEACE OFFICER. A person duly sworn as a peace officer of the State of Alabama possessing powers of arrest and employed by the state, any political subdivision thereof, or any municipal corporation therein who is required by the terms of employment, whether the employment exists by virtue of election or appointment, to give full time to the preservation of public order and the protection of life or property or the detection of crime in the state. The term shall include enforcement officers for conservation laws, full-time coroners, and any pardon, parole, or probation officer, but shall not include any district attorney, assistant district attorney, assistant attorney general, commissioner, deputy commissioner, or any municipal inspector, county inspector, or state inspector.
(12) PRIOR SERVICE. The period of employment of a member as a peace officer from the time of initial employment as a peace officer to September 12, 1969.
(13) QUALIFIED SERVICE. The prior service plus membership service of a member.
(14) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(15) STATE POLICE ASSOCIATION. The Alabama State Police Association, as now or hereafter constituted.
(16) STATE TROOPER ASSOCIATION. The Alabama State Trooper Association, Inc., as now or hereafter constituted.
(17) YEAR. A period of 365 days. The last year of employment as a peace officer when over six months of membership service shall constitute a year toward service retirement.