The following words, whenever they appear in this Code, shall have the signification attached to them in this section unless otherwise apparent from the context:
(1) PERSON. The word "person" includes a corporation as well as a natural person.
(2) WRITING. The word "writing" includes typewriting and printing on paper.
(3) OATH. The word "oath" includes affirmation.
(4) SIGNATURE or SUBSCRIPTION. The words "signature" or "subscription" include a mark when the person cannot write, if his name is written near the mark, and witnessed by a person who writes his own name as a witness, and include with respect to corporate securities facsimile signature placed upon any instrument or writing with intent to execute or authenticate such instrument or writing.
(5) LUNATIC, INSANE or NON COMPOS MENTIS. The words "lunatic" or "insane" or the term "non compos mentis" include all persons of unsound mind.
(6) PROPERTY. The word "property" includes both real and personal property.
(7) REAL PROPERTY. The term "real property" includes lands, tenements and hereditaments.
(8) PERSONAL PROPERTY. The term "personal property" includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances.
(9) CIRCUIT. The word "circuit" means judicial circuit.
(10) PRECEDING. The word "preceding" means next before.
(11) FOLLOWING. The word "following" means next after.
(12) STATE. The word "state," when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States.
(13) UNITED STATES. The term "United States" includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia.
(14) JURY or JURIES. The words "jury" or "juries" include courts or judges in all cases when a jury trial is waived, or when the court or judge is authorized to ascertain and determine the facts as well as the law.
(15) MONTH. The word "month" means a calendar month.
(16) YEAR. The word "year" means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year.