(a) After adopting a plan of merger or share exchange, the board of directors of each corporation party to the merger, and the board of directors of the corporation whose shares will be acquired in the share exchange, shall submit the plan of merger, except as provided in subsection (g), or share exchange for approval by its shareholders.
(b) For a plan of merger or share exchange to be approved:
(1) The board of directors must recommend the plan of merger or share exchange to the shareholders, unless the board of directors determines that because of conflict of interest or other special circumstances it should make no recommendation and communicates the basis for its determination to the shareholders with the plan; and
(2) The shareholders entitled to vote must approve the plan.
(c) Subject to the corporation's articles of incorporation, the board of directors may condition its submission of the proposed merger or share exchange on any basis, except that the board of directors may not decrease the vote required for approval under subsection (e).
(d) The corporation shall notify each shareholder, whether or not entitled to vote, of the proposed shareholders' meeting in accordance with Section 10A-2-7.05. The notice must also state that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is to consider the plan of merger or share exchange and contain or be accompanied by a copy or summary of the plan.
(e) Unless this chapter or the articles of incorporation require a greater or lesser vote or a vote by voting groups, or the board of directors, acting pursuant to subsection (c), requires a greater vote or a vote by voting groups, the plan of merger or share exchange to be authorized must be approved by each voting group entitled to vote separately on the plan by two thirds of all the votes entitled to be cast on the plan by that voting group; but in no case may the vote required for shareholder approval be set at less than a majority of the votes entitled to be cast on the plan by each voting group.
(f) Separate voting by voting groups is required:
(1) On a plan of merger if the plan contains a provision that, if contained in a proposed amendment to articles of incorporation, would require action by one or more separate voting groups on the proposed amendment under Section 10A-2-10.04;
(2) On a plan of share exchange by each class or series of shares included in the exchange, with each class or series constituting a separate voting group.
(g) Action by the shareholders of the surviving corporation on a plan of merger is not required if:
(1) The articles of incorporation of the surviving corporation will not differ, except for amendments enumerated in Section 10A-2-10.02, from its articles before the merger;
(2) Each shareholder of the surviving corporation whose shares were outstanding immediately before the effective date of the merger will hold the same number of shares, with identical designations, preferences, limitations, and relative rights, immediately after;
(3) The number of voting shares outstanding immediately after the merger, plus the number of voting shares issuable as a result of the merger, either by the conversion of securities issued pursuant to the merger or the exercise of rights and warrants issued pursuant to the merger, will not exceed by more than 20 percent the total number of voting shares of the surviving corporation outstanding immediately before the merger; and
(4) The number of participating shares outstanding immediately after the merger, plus the number of participating shares issuable as a result of the merger, either by the conversion of securities issued pursuant to the merger or the exercise of rights and warrants issued pursuant to the merger, will not exceed by more than 20 percent the total number of participating shares outstanding immediately before the merger.
(h) As used in subsection (g):
(1) "Participating shares" means shares that entitle their holders to participate without limitation in distributions.
(2) "Voting shares" means shares that entitle their holders to vote unconditionally in elections of directors.
(i) After a merger or share exchange is authorized, and at any time before articles of merger or share exchange are filed, the planned merger or share exchange may be abandoned, subject to any contractual rights, without further shareholder action, in accordance with the procedure set forth in the plan of merger or share exchange or, if none is set forth, in the manner determined by the board of directors.