As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, the following terms mean:
(1) ARTICLES OF ORGANIZATION. The filing instrument provided for by Section 10A-5-2.01, or, if it has been amended or restated, as most recently amended or restated. In the case of a foreign limited liability company, the term includes all documents serving a similar function that are required to be filed to form the limited liability company in the state or other jurisdiction where it is organized. The term articles of organization as used in this chapter is synonymous with the term certificate of formation as defined in Section 10A-1-1.03(6). In this chapter, the use of the term certificate of formation shall be deemed to include articles of organization, and vice-versa. Together with the operating agreement, the articles of organization or certificate of formation of a limited liability company constitute its governing documents within the meaning of Section 10A-1-1.03(40).
(2) BUSINESS ENTITY. A corporation, limited liability company, partnership, limited partnership, registered limited liability partnership, or other entity organized to engage in business, whether for profit or not, created under the laws of the State of Alabama, predecessor law, or law of another jurisdiction.
(3) FINANCIAL RIGHTS. Rights to a. share in profits and losses as provided in Section 10A-5-5.03, b. receive interim distributions as provided in Section 10A-5-5.04, and c. receive termination distributions as provided in Section 10A-5-7.05.
(4) FOREIGN LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY. An organization formed under the laws of any jurisdiction other than Alabama that is substantially similar to a limited liability company.
(5) GOVERNANCE RIGHTS. All a member's rights as a member of a limited liability company except financial rights, including without limitation, the rights to participate in the management of the limited liability company and to bind the limited liability company as provided in Section 10A-5-3.03.
(6) LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY or DOMESTIC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY. An organization that is formed and existing under this chapter.
(7) MEMBER. A person reflected in the required records of a limited liability company as the owner of some governance rights of a membership interest in the limited liability company.
(8) OPERATING AGREEMENT. A written agreement of the member or members governing the affairs of a limited liability company and the conduct of its business. The operating agreement, if entered into together with the articles of organization or certificate of formation of a limited liability company constitute its governing documents within the meaning of Section of 10A-1-1.03(40).