Section 11-16-1

Petition of qualified electors for election to change county seat.

A majority of the qualified electors of any county, except those counties that have built new courthouses in the past 20 years, may petition the Governor in writing, praying that an election be held in such county for the purpose of determining whether the county seat or site shall be removed from the city, town, or village where it is then located to another designated city, town, or village in such county.

(Code 1907, §175; Code 1923, §267; Code 1940, T. 12, §230.)