For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases unless otherwise clearly indicated shall have the following meanings:
(1) COUNTY GOVERNING BODY. The county commission of each county in this state.
(2) FLOOD or FLOODING. The general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of normally dry land areas:
a. From the overflow of streams, rivers, and other inland waters, or
b. From tidal surges, abnormally high tidal waters, tidal waves, or rising coastal waters resulting from tsunamis, hurricanes, or other severe storms.
(3) FLOOD-PRONE AREA. Any area with a frequency of inundation of once in 100 years as defined by qualified hydrologists or engineers using methods that are generally accepted by persons engaged in the field of hydrology and engineering.
(4) LAND-USE AND CONTROL MEASURES. Zoning ordinances, subdivision regulations, building codes, health regulations, and other applications and extensions of the normal police power to provide safe standards of occupancy for prudent use of flood-prone areas.
(5) SUBDIVISION. The division of a lot, tract, or parcel of land into two or more lots, plats, sites, or other divisions of land for the purpose, whether immediate or future, for sale or building development. It includes resubdivision and, when appropriate to the context, relates to the process of subdividing or to the land or territory subdivided.