(a) For the purposes of this article, the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER. A person employed by the county commission of a county pursuant to Section 11-3-18.
(2) CREDIT CARD. A line of credit issued by a domestic lender or credit card bank.
(3) DEBIT CARD. A card issued by a bank in relation to a checking or savings account held by the county commission.
(b) To provide for convenience in making purchases of tangible personal property or services approved by the county commission, the county commission of a county may establish procedures for the chief administrative officer to make certain purchases through use of a credit or debit card issued to the county commission. The county commission shall promulgate written policy and procedures governing the utilization of credit or debit cards which, at a minimum, shall include each of the following:
(1) A monetary limit on the amount of any individual purchase which may be made with a credit or debit card.
(2) A monetary limit on the total monthly amount that may be purchased with a credit or debit card, taking into consideration the debt limit of the county, which shall not be greater than one-fourth of one percent (.25%) of the general fund budget of the county.
(3) Procedures to ensure that the chief administrative officer has sole access to any credit or debit card issued to the county commission.
(4) Procedures to ensure that the chief administrative officer has sole access to credit or debit card numbers, access codes, or security codes.
(5) Procedures for public officials and department heads to properly submit purchase orders to the chief administrative officer for the purchase of items or services which may be paid for utilizing a credit or debit card.
(6) Procedures for the chief administrative officer to keep accurate records of all purchases made with a credit or debit card, which records shall be periodically reviewed by the chair of the county commission and may be reviewed periodically by any other member of the county commission.
(7) Procedures to ensure that all credit or debit card bills are carefully reviewed by the chief administrative officer each month to make sure that no unauthorized charges appear on the bill.
(8) Procedures to ensure that all credit or debit card bills are paid in full on a timely basis each month to avoid service charges, late fees, or interest payments.
(9) Procedures to ensure that the county is at all times in compliance with the provisions of Title 39 and Article 3 of Chapter 16, Title 41.
(c) The county commission shall select the credit or debit card provider or providers taking into consideration each of the following:
(1) Whether the credit or debit card issuer requires an annual fee for utilizing the card.
(2) Whether the credit or debit card issuer offers rewards or rebates based upon purchases made utilizing the account.
(3) What interest rates, service charges, finance charges, or late fees will be assessed in the event a bill from the credit or debit card issuer is paid late or the balance is not paid in full.
(4) Whether penalties or fees will be assessed against the county in the event it decides to terminate the credit or debit card.
(5) Any other consideration deemed relevant by the county commission.
(d) In the event the credit or debit card provides rewards or rebates based upon use of the card, any rewards or rebates earned form the card or cards shall be deposited into the general fund of the county.