As used in this chapter, the following words and phrases shall mean the following unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) AD VALOREM TAX. Those real and personal property ad valorem taxes collected by the county tax collector, the director of revenue of the county, or revenue commissioner, if any, for the county, but shall exclude all ad valorem taxes collected for the State of Alabama and all boards of education, municipalities, fire districts, or other entities located in the county.
(2) APPLICANT. A natural person who files a written application with the governing body of any county to which this chapter applies and with a municipality in the county, all in accordance with Section 11-32-3.
(3) AUTHORITY. The public corporation organized pursuant to this chapter, which shall be an agency of the state but shall not be a political subdivision of the state.
(4) AUTHORIZING COUNTY. Any county the governing body of which shall have adopted an authorizing resolution, even if the population of the county should fall below 600,000.
(5) AUTHORIZING MUNICIPALITY. Any municipality the governing body of which shall have adopted an authorizing resolution.
(6) AUTHORIZING RESOLUTION. A resolution, adopted by the governing body of any county to which this chapter applies or by a municipality in the county, all in accordance with Section 11-32-3.
(7) BOARD. The Board of Directors of an authority.
(8) BONDS. Bonds, notes, warrants, certificates, and other obligations representing an obligation to pay money.
(9) COUNTY. Any county in the state.
(10) DIRECTOR. A member of the board.
(11) FISCAL YEAR. The 12-month period provided for in subsection (c) of Section 11-32-7.
(12) GOVERNING BODY. With respect to a county, its county commissioners, board of revenue, or other like governing body and with respect to a municipality, its city or town council, board of commissioners, or other like governing body.
(13) INCORPORATORS. The persons forming a public corporation organized pursuant to this chapter.
(14) LABOR UNION. An organization in which employees participate for the purpose of dealing with one or more employers concerning grievances, labor disputes, wages, rates of pay, hours of employment, or conditions of work.
(15) METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION. The forum for cooperative transportation decision making for a metropolitan planning area pursuant to 23 U.S.C. § 134 and 49 U.S.C. § 5303.
(16) MUNICIPALITY. An incorporated city or town of this state.
(17) PARATRANSIT. Comparable transportation service required by the Americans with Disabilities Act for individuals who are unable to use fixed route transportation systems.
(18) PARTICIPATING MUNICIPALITY. A municipality in an authorizing county, other than the principal municipality, which is then providing funds for the authority, pursuant to resolution, contract, or otherwise.
(19) PERSON. Unless limited to a natural person by the context in which it is used, includes a public or private corporation, municipality, county, or an agency, department, or instrumentality of the state or of a county or municipality.
(20) PRINCIPAL MUNICIPALITY. The municipality in an authorizing county having the largest population in the authorizing county according to the last or any subsequent federal decennial census.
(21) PRINCIPAL OFFICE. The place at which the certificate of incorporation and amendments to the certificate of incorporation, the bylaws, and the minutes of proceedings of the board are kept.
(22) PROPERTY. Real and personal property, and any and all interests in the real and personal property.
(23) PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SERVICE. All service involved in the transportation of passengers for hire by means of buses, street railway, elevated railway, subway, underground railroad, light rail, mass transit systems, motor vehicles, or other means of conveyance generally associated with or developed for mass surface or sub-surface transportation of the public, but does not include any service involved in transportation by taxicab, airport limousine, or industrial bus; however, public transportation service does not include aircraft or any air service subject to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 or managed by an airport authority of the principal municipality.
(24) REGIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION. The regional organization representing governing bodies of local governments under Act 584 of the 1963 Regular Session (Acts 1963, p. 1278) or Act 1126 of the 1969 Regular Session (Acts 1969, p. 2084).
(25) TCAB. The transit citizens advisory board established herein.
(26) TRANSIT SYSTEM. Land, plants, systems, facilities, buildings, garages, vehicles of all types, rails, lines, and any combination of any of the following, used or useful or capable of future use in furnishing public transportation service, and all other property deemed necessary or desirable by an authority for use in furnishing public transportation service.
(27) STATE. The State of Alabama.