(a) A city manager employed under the provisions of this article shall have the authority and be charged with the duties, liabilities, and penalties and shall hold office and receive compensation as set forth in this section: The city manager shall be the administrative head of the municipal government. He shall be chosen by the governing body of the municipality without regard to political beliefs and solely upon the basis of his executive and administrative qualifications. The choice shall not be limited to inhabitants of the municipality or of the State of Alabama. The city manager shall receive such compensation as may be prescribed by ordinance of the governing body, which shall be payable in 12 monthly installments from the municipal treasury. During the absence or disability of the city manager the governing body shall designate some properly qualified person to perform the duties of the office of city manager. The city manager must devote all of his working time and attention to the affairs of the municipality and shall be responsible to the governing body for the efficient administration of all the affairs of the municipality over which he has jurisdiction.
(b) The city manager shall have the power and it shall be his duty:
(1) To see that all laws and ordinances are enforced;
(2) To appoint and employ all necessary employees of the municipality; provided, that the positions of chief of police, chief of the fire department, and superintendent of the waterworks or other utility plants shall be filled by the governing body;
(3) To remove employees employed by him without the consent of the governing body and without assigning any reason therefor; provided, that nothing in this section shall operate or confer upon the city manager supervision and control over the municipal board of education or municipal schools, utilities operated by the municipality, or its police or fire department other than the authority to engage the employees under the heads of the police and fire departments and utilities operated by the municipality;
(4) To attend all meetings of the governing body with a right to take part in the discussions, but having no vote. The city manager shall be entitled to notice of all special meetings;
(5) To recommend to the governing body for adoption such measures as he may deem necessary or expedient;
(6) To see that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the municipality or its inhabitants in any public utility franchise are faithfully kept and performed and, upon the knowledge of any violation thereof, to call the same to the attention of the city or town attorney, whose duty it shall be forthwith to take such steps as are necessary to protect and enforce the same;
(7) To make and execute all lawful contracts on behalf of the municipality as to matters within his jurisdiction; provided, that no contract, purchase, or obligation involving more than $100.00 shall be binding until after approval by the governing body;
(8) To keep the governing body at all times fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the municipality;
(9) To make a full written report to the governing body on the first of each month showing the operation and expenditures of each department of the municipal government for the preceding month;
(10) To fix all salaries and compensations of municipal employees lawfully employed by him, subject, however, to supervision, approval, or disapproval of the governing body;
(11) To perform the duties of the city or town clerk without additional compensation, when so directed by resolution of the governing body, and when so acting he shall be charged with all of the duties, powers, responsibilities, and penalties of the city or town clerk. When so acting his official acts may be in his name as city manager;
(12) To act as the purchasing agent for the municipality, by whom all of the purchases of supplies for departments under his control as well as those for the fire and police departments and utilities operated by the municipality shall be made, and he shall approve all vouchers in payment of such purchases; provided, that all purchases involving the expenditure of more than $100.00 in one transaction or for one purpose shall first be authorized or approved by the governing body; and
(13) To perform such other duties as may be prescribed by law or by ordinance or resolution of the governing body.
(c) The city manager, before entering upon the discharge of his duties, shall give bond in the penal sum of not less than $5,000.00 nor more than $20,000.00, to be fixed by the governing body and to be approved by them, payable to the municipality and for the benefit of the municipality and for the use and benefit of the public to secure and indemnify the municipality and any of the public by reason of his default, misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in the performance of his duties.
(d) The term of office of the city manager shall be coextensive with the term of office of the governing body; provided, that he may be discharged upon 60 days' written notice following the vote of as many as two thirds of the entire number of members of the governing body.