All legislative powers of the city, including all powers vested in it by this chapter, by the laws, general and local, of the state, and by the Code of Alabama 1975, as amended, and the determination of all matters of legislative policy, shall be vested in the council. Without limitation of the foregoing, the council shall have power to:
(1) Appoint stenographic and clerical employees deemed necessary for service to the council, subject to the provisions of any merit system in effect at such time;
(2) Upon recommendation of the mayor, establish administrative departments and distribute the work of divisions;
(3) Adopt the budget of the city;
(4) Authorize the issuance of bonds or warrants;
(5) Inquire into the conduct of any office, department or agency of the city and make investigations as to municipal affairs;
(6) Appoint the members of all boards except the Planning Commission and the Housing Board and the Industrial Development Authority;
(7) Succeed to all the powers, rights and privileges conferred upon the former governing body of the city by statutes in effect at the time of adoption by the city of the mayor-council form of government and not in conflict with this chapter; and
(8) Levy property, sales and license taxes and local improvement assessments.
Neither the council nor any of its members shall direct or request the appointment of any person to, or his removal from office, or in any manner take part in the appointment or removal of officers and employees in the administrative service to the city, except as provided in subdivision (1) of this section. Except for the purpose of inquiry, the members of the council shall deal with the administrative service only through the mayor. Members of the council shall not give orders to any subordinates of the mayor, either publicly or privately. Any councilman violating the provisions of this section, or voting for a resolution or ordinance in violation of this section, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall cease to be a councilman.