There shall be established in the division of finance a division responsible for purchases, the head of which shall be the city purchasing agent. Such division head, pursuant to rules and regulations established by resolution or ordinance, shall contract for, purchase, store, and distribute all supplies, materials, and equipment required by any office, department, or agency. The city purchasing agent shall also have power and shall be required to:
(1) Establish and enforce specifications with respect to supplies, materials, and equipment required by the city government;
(2) Inspect or supervise the inspection of all deliveries of supplies, materials, and equipment and determine their quality, quantity, and conformance with specifications;
(3) Have charge of such general storerooms and warehouses as the council may provide by resolution or ordinance;
(4) Transfer to or between offices, departments, or agencies or sell surplus, obsolete, or unused supplies, material, and equipment; and
(5) Perform such other duties as may be imposed by resolution or ordinance.