The following provisions shall apply regardless of which form of government the majority of the qualified electors voting in the referendum provided herein choose:
(1) Within 30 days after the referendum, the governing body of such municipality shall adopt an ordinance,
a. Establishing the boundaries of the five-council districts herein provided for, and
b. Establishing the salaries to be paid the mayor and council members to be elected at the first election to be held hereunder.
(2) The governing body shall take such steps as are necessary to comply with the Federal Voting Rights Act of 1965, as amended.
(3) Within 10 days after the receipt of notification of compliance with the Federal Voting Rights Act of 1965, as amended, the mayor or other chief executive officer shall give notice of an election for the members of the city council, and for mayor if the mayor-council form of government was adopted, to be held not more than 90 days after the publication of said notice.
(4) On noon of the seventh day following the canvass of the election results, including the results of any runoff election, if needed, the newly elected officers shall assume office and the terms, powers, duties, responsibilities, and emoluments of office of the commissioners shall end.
(5) The officers elected hereunder shall serve until the first Monday in October, 1988. Officers elected thereafter shall hold office for four years, but shall serve until their successors shall have been elected and qualified. An election shall be held in 1988 on the month and day established by the general laws of the state pertaining to municipal elections. Regular municipal elections shall be held quadrennially thereafter under the same rules and regulations and in the same mode and manner as provided by the general laws of the state pertaining to municipal elections, except as otherwise provided by this chapter.
(6) The municipality shall, after said election and the qualification and assumption of office of the council and mayor if the mayor-council form of government was adopted, be deemed to have adopted the form of government as herein provided and thereafter be governed pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.