When used in this article, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) BEACH. A sandy shoreline area abutting to the Gulf of Mexico, characterized by low relief, generally of gentle slope, and some vegetation, extending into the abutting waters to a distance 1,000 feet seaward of the mean high tide line.
(2) BEACH PROJECT. The placement and maintenance of sand and associated sand stabilization structures, vegetation, vegetation irrigation systems, and access structures on a coastal beach for the purposes of maintaining or restoring the beach and providing storm protection for upland properties.
(3) COASTAL BEACH. Any beach that is located wholly or partially within the corporate limits of a coastal municipality and that abuts the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
(4) COASTAL MUNICIPALITY. A municipal corporation whose corporate limits include or abut the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
(5) GOVERNING BODY. The body in which the general legislative power of a coastal municipality is vested.