The words, terms, and phrases defined below shall have the following meanings:
(1) APPLICANT. A natural person who files a written application with the governing body of any county to which this chapter applies and with a municipality in the county.
(2) AUTHORITY. A public corporation organized pursuant to this chapter.
(3) AUTHORIZING COUNTY. Any county where a Class 1 municipality is located whose governing body adopts an authorizing resolution.
(4) AUTHORIZING MUNICIPALITY. Any Class 1 municipality whose governing body adopts an authorizing resolution.
(5) AUTHORIZING RESOLUTION. A resolution adopted by the governing body of the county where the Class 1 municipality is located or by the Class 1 municipality in which an authority may be incorporated.
(6) BOARD. The board of directors of an authority.
(7) BONDS. Bonds, notes, and certificates representing an obligation to pay money.
(8) COUNTY. Any county in the state.
(9) DIRECTOR. A member of the board of directors of the authority.
(10) GOVERNING BODY. The county commission of a county or other like governing body, or the city council of a municipality or like governing body.
(11) INCORPORATORS. The persons forming a public corporation organized pursuant to this chapter.
(12) MUNICIPALITY. An incorporated city or town of the state.
(13) PARTICIPATING MUNICIPALITY. Any municipality in an authorizing county, other than the principal municipality, which is providing funds for the authority, pursuant to resolution, contract, or otherwise.
(14) PERSON. Unless limited to a natural person by the context in which it is used, includes a public or private corporation, municipality, county, agency, department, or instrumentality of the state or of a county or municipality.
(15) PRINCIPAL MUNICIPALITY. The municipality in an authorizing county having the largest population according to the last or any subsequent federal decennial census.
(16) PRINCIPAL OFFICE. The place at which the certificate of incorporation and amendments to the certificate of incorporation, bylaws, and the minutes of proceedings of the board of an authority are kept.
(17) PROPERTY. Real and personal property and any interest in the property.
(18) PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SERVICE. All service involved in the transportation of passengers for hire by means of street railway, elevated railway, subway, underground railroad, motor vehicles, or other means of conveyance generally associated with or developed for mass surface or sub-surface transportation of the public, but does not include any service involved in transportation by taxicab, airport limousine, or industrial bus.
(19) TRANSIT SYSTEM. Land, plants, systems, facilities, buildings, garages, vehicles of all types, rails, lines, and combination of any thereof, used or useful or capable of future use in furnishing public transportation service, and all other property deemed necessary or desirable by an authority for use in furnishing public transportation service.
(20) STATE. The State of Alabama.