Section 11-50-341


(a) The council of any city may, by ordinance, create a board of water and sewer commissioners for such city. Such ordinance shall set forth:

(1) The determination by the council to create such board under the provisions of this article.

(2) The name of such board, which shall be "Board of Water and Sewer Commissioners of the City of _____" (inserting the name of the city) and the temporary address of its principal office.

(3) The names of the persons appointed by the council as members of such board and the expiration of their respective terms of office.

(4) The determination by the council whether the water system of the city or the sewer system of the city or both such systems shall be transferred to the board and the consideration to be received for such transfer.

(b) A copy of such ordinance shall be published once in a newspaper published and having a general circulation in such city, accompanied by a notice signed by the city clerk stating the time and place at which the council will hold a public hearing on the final adoption of such ordinance, such time to be fixed by the council and to be not earlier than 10 days after the publication of such ordinance. After such hearing, which may be adjourned from time to time by the council, the council may finally adopt such ordinance with such amendments, if any, as it may deem advisable.

(c) Upon the final adoption of such ordinance by the council, a copy thereof, certified by the city clerk, and an affidavit showing the publication of such ordinance and accompanying notice as required in subsection (b) of this section shall be filed in the office of the judge of probate of the county or counties where such city is located, who shall issue a certificate reciting that such board has been created and established under the provisions of this article, and thereupon such board shall be conclusively deemed to be lawfully and properly created and established and authorized to execute its powers under this article. The judge of probate shall file a notice of the organization of such board with the Secretary of State.

(Acts 1951, No. 775, p. 1359, §2.)