(a) The board of directors shall constitute the governing body of the district. The board shall do all things necessary or convenient in acquiring, owning, operating, developing, and improving the gas system or systems owned or to be owned by the district and shall exercise all the powers of the district including but not limited to the following powers:
(1) To adopt and amend bylaws for the management and regulation of its affairs and the enterprises in which it is engaged;
(2) To use, with the consent of any of its member municipalities, the agents, employees, or facilities or property of such municipalities and to provide for the payment of the agreed proportion of the costs therefor;
(3) To appoint officers, agents, and employees, including attorneys, and to fix their compensation;
(4) To contract with any person, firm, or corporation for the entire supervision, operation, and management of any one or more systems of the district, including the collection and distribution of the revenue therefrom, for such period of time as the board may deem advisable and at such compensation and upon such terms as may be agreed upon and approved by the board of directors; and
(5) To provide for the execution of deeds, mortgages, indentures of trust, bonds, obligations, and other instruments of the district.
(b) Action of the board of directors shall be taken by resolution. Any resolution of a general or permanent nature shall not become effective until it has been published in some newspaper of general circulation in the district, but if no such newspaper is published within the limits of the district, such resolution may be published by posting a copy thereof in three public places within the limits of the district.