(a) All municipalities shall have the following powers:
(1) To license any exhibition, trade, business, vocation, occupation, or profession not prohibited by the Constitution or laws of the state which may be engaged in or carried on in the municipality.
(2) To fix the amount of licenses, the time for which they are to run, not exceeding one license year, to provide a penalty for doing business without a license, and to charge a fee not exceeding ten dollars ($10) for issuing each license. The issuance fee shall be increased every five license years by the Department of Revenue by an amount equal to the percentage increase, if any, in the U.S. Department of Labor's Producer Price Index during that five-year period, rounded to the nearest dollar, with the base year being 2006. The Department of Revenue shall notify all municipalities and the Alabama League of Municipalities of any such fee increase no later than the November 30 preceding the license year for which the increase shall take effect. The failure of the Department of Revenue to so notify all municipalities and the Alabama League of Municipalities shall not, however, prohibit a municipality from increasing the issuance fee, if any increase is otherwise due pursuant to this subsection. A reasonable projection of the Producer Price Index for the months of November and December of the fifth year of the test period may be employed in this calculation.
(3) To establish a minimum, and in the discretion of the municipality, a maximum business license, with the amount of the minimum and, if appropriate, maximum business license and the applicable tax rate for each category to be established from time to time by the governing body of each municipality pursuant to this chapter.
(4) In the discretion of the municipality, to establish a small vendor business license, which shall not exceed one percent of the taxpayer's gross receipts derived from within the municipality for the preceding license year; provided, however, that a municipality's election not to establish a small vendor business license shall not preclude the municipality from requiring a taxpayer generating gross receipts of less than fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) from within the municipality's jurisdiction to purchase an annual business license. For purposes of this section, a "small vendor" shall be defined as a taxpayer that meets all the following criteria:
a. The taxpayer purchased a business license from the municipality with respect to the preceding license year and made a sale or provided services within the municipality thereof during each calendar quarter of the preceding license year.
b. The taxpayer's gross receipts derived from within the municipality for the preceding license year did not exceed fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).
c. The taxpayer did not qualify for the special delivery license provided for by Section 11-51-194.
(5) To require sworn statements as to the amount of capital invested, value of goods or stocks, or amounts of sales or gross receipts where the amount of the license is made to depend upon the amount of capital invested, value of goods or stocks, or amount of sales or gross receipts and to punish any taxpayer for failure or refusal to furnish sworn statements or for giving of false statements in relation thereto.
(b) The license authorized by subsection (a) as to taxpayers engaged in business in connection with interstate commerce shall be confined to that portion within the limits of the state and where the taxpayer has an office or transacts business in the municipality imposing the license. A taxpayer subject to the license authorized by subsection (a), that is engaged in business in more than one municipality, shall be permitted to account for its gross receipts so that the part of its gross receipts attributable to one or more branch offices will not be subject to the business license tax imposed on the principal business office required to obtain a business license. Branch office gross receipts are those receipts that are the result of business conducted at or from a qualifying branch office.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, in order to establish the existence of a qualifying branch office, the taxpayer shall meet all the following criteria:
(1) Demonstrate the continuing existence of an actual physical facility located outside the police jurisdiction of the municipality in which its principal business office is located, such as a retail store, outlet, business office, showroom, or warehouse, to which employees or independent contractors, or both, are assigned or located during regular normal working hours.
(2) Maintain books and records which reasonably indicate a segregation or allocation of the taxpayer's gross receipts to the particular facility or facilities.
(3) Provide reasonable proof that separate telephone listings, signs, or other indications of its separate activity are in existence.
(4) Billing or collection activities, or both, relating to the business conducted at the branch office or offices are performed by an employee or other representative of the taxpayer who has such responsibility for the branch office, whether or not the representative is physically located at the branch office.
(5) All business claimed by a branch office or offices must be conducted by and through the office or offices.
(6) Supply proof that all applicable business licenses with respect to the branch office or offices have been issued.
(c) The power to license conferred by this division may be used in the exercise of the police power as well as for the purpose of raising revenue, or both.
(d) Each municipality shall accept the application form set forth below for the purpose of allowing a taxpayer to apply for a business license. The application form may, however, be altered to incorporate the different business license rates that municipalities are permitted to charge from time to time, and to reflect additional or different instructions to taxpayers that are not inconsistent with this chapter, including a required notice in cases where the municipality does not levy its business license tax on business done within its police jurisdiction. Each municipality shall mail or otherwise transmit a renewal reminder notice to each taxpayer that purchased a business license during the preceding license year, via regular U.S. mail addressed to the taxpayer's last known address, on or before December 31 of the current license year. The failure of the municipality to comply with the preceding sentence shall not, however, preclude it from enforcing its business license tax laws against a taxpayer but shall preclude the municipality from assessing any fines or penalties otherwise due for late payment until 10 days after a renewal reminder notice has been mailed to the taxpayer at its last known address as indicated in the municipality's records, or personally delivered to the taxpayer, and the taxpayer then fails or refuses to remit the business license tax due for such license year within the 10-day period. If the municipality mails a renewal reminder notice to the last known address of the taxpayer, as indicated in the municipality's records, there shall exist a presumption that the municipality has complied with the above provisions. A municipality shall not be precluded from assessing fines and penalties otherwise due for late payment if the taxpayer does not notify the municipality of a change in address within 90 days after changing such address. Taxpayers shall notify the taxing jurisdictions in which they do business of a change of mailing address within 90 days after changing such address. In like manner, taxpayers shall notify the taxing jurisdictions in which they do business of a change in their federal employer identification number or Department of Revenue taxpayer identification number within a reasonable time after such number is changed.
UNIFORM MUNICIPAL BUSINESS LICENSE APPLICATION
City/Town of ____, Alabama NOTE: The City/Town Imposes (or Does Not Impose, as appropriate) its Business License Tax Within its Police Jurisdiction
|Complete and Mail or Fax to:||Applicant Complete This Box:|
|CITY OF ANYWHERE||FEIN|
|P.O. Box 0000||ST. OF ALA TAX #|
|ANYWHERE, AL||FORM OF|
|00000-0000||OWNERSHIP (CHECK ONE)|
|(000) 111-2222||____ Sole Prop. ____Partnership|
|Fax (000) 111-2222||_____ Corporation|
|____ Prof. Assoc.|
|____ LLC ____ Other ________|
Please Print or Type
SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR INSTRUCTION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
|Type:||New||Owner Change||Name Change||Location Change|
Legal Business Name:
Trade Name (If different from above):
Business Activities (Brief description - example, retail clothing sales, wholesale food sales, rental of industrial equipment, computer consulting, etc.):_________________
Physical Address (Street, City, State, Zip):
Mailing Address (Street, City, State, Zip):
Telephone (Bus., Fax, and Home):
Name/Phone # for Contact Person:
List the Following for Owner(s), Partners, or Officers (Attach separate sheet if necessary) (if Officers, list only the top five):
|Name||Residence Address||SSN [if not publicly-traded company]||Title|
Date Business Activity Initiated or Proposed in Anywhere
# of Employees in Anywhere
This application has been examined by me and is, to the best of my knowledge, a true and complete representation of the above named entity, and person(s) listed.
THIS AREA FOR MUNICIPAL USE ONLY
ACCOUNT ID # ____________________
REVIEWED BY: ____________________
PHYSICAL LOCATION: CITY POLICE JURISDICTION OUTSIDE CORP LIMITS AND PJ
BUILDING APPROVAL YES _____ NO ______ N/A
Tax types: _______ Sales/Seller's Use ______ Consumer Use______ Rental_______Lodgings _______ Alcohol ________ Occupational __________ Tobacco _____ Gas/Motor Fuel ______ Business License ________
Tax Filing Frequency: Monthly ______ Quarterly _____ Annual _______ Other _______
Business Type:______ Retail ______ Wholesale______ Building Contractor _____Service ______ Professional _______ Manufacture ________Rental _______ Other ______
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CONCERNING THE COMPLETION OF THIS FORM.
PLEASE COMPLETE ALL AREAS OF THE FORM EXCEPT FOR THE SHADED AREA AT THE BOTTOM.
FORM SHOULD BE TYPED OR PRINTED LEGIBLY.
FORM SHOULD BE DATED AND SIGNED BY AN OWNER, PARTNER, OR OFFICER OF THE BUSINESS.
FORM WILL INITIATE THE PROCESS FOR REGISTERING YOUR BUSINESS WITH THE MUNICIPALITY.
IF YOUR BUSINESS WILL HAVE A PHYSICAL LOCATION WITHIN THE MUNICIPALITY, PLEASE USE THAT ADDRESS ON THE FRONT OF THIS FORM. (Complete separate forms for each physical location in the municipality, if so required.)
AFTER COMPLETING THIS FORM IT CAN BE MAILED, SENT BY FAX, OR WHERE POSSIBLE, SENT BY ELECTRONIC MAIL TO THE MUNICIPALITY.
UPON RECEIPT OF THE COMPLETED FORM, THE MUNICIPALITY WILL PROVIDE ANY ADDITIONAL FORMS AND INFORMATION REGARDING OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS TO YOU IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE LICENSING PROCESS.
ALL LICENSE RENEWALS ARE DUE JANUARY 1 AND DELINQUENT AFTER JANUARY 31 (OR FEBRUARY 15), WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION:
INSURANCE COMPANY LICENSE
DUE JANUARY 1, DELINQUENT AFTER MARCH 1
This form is intended as a simplified, standard mechanism for businesses to initiate contact with a municipality concerning their activities within that municipality. A business license will be required prior to engaging in business. If a business intends to maintain a physical location within the municipality, there are normally zoning and building code approvals required prior to the issuance of a business license.
In certain instances, a business may simply be required to register with the municipality to create a mechanism for the reporting and payment of any tax liabilities. If that is the case, you will be provided the materials for that registration process.
The completion and submission of this form does not guarantee the approval or subsequent issuance of a license to do business. Any prerequisites for a particular type and location of the business must be satisfied prior to licensing.
SHOULD THERE BE ANY QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE COMPLETION OF THIS FORM OR THE LICENSING AND/OR REGISTRATION PROCESS, PLEASE CALL THE NUMBER ON THE FRONT OF THIS FORM TO OBTAIN MORE DETAILED EXPLANATION.