When used in this chapter, the following words or phrases shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) MUNICIPALITY or MUNICIPAL. Cities or towns.
(2) MAYOR. The chief executive of the municipality, whether the official designation of his office be mayor, city manager, or otherwise.
(3) COUNCIL. The chief legislative body of the municipality.
(4) COUNTY COMMISSION. The chief administrative or legislative body of the county.
(5) STREETS. Streets, avenues, boulevards, roads, lanes, alleys, viaducts, and other ways.
(6) SUBDIVISION. The division of a lot, tract, or parcel of land into two or more lots, plats, sites, or other divisions of land for the purpose, whether immediate or future, of sale, of lease, or of building development. The term includes resubdivision and, when appropriate to the context, relates to the process of subdividing or to the land or territory subdivided.