Section 11-53A-3

Administrative hearing; order for removal of unsafe building or structure; appeal of order for removal.

(a) Within the time specified in the notice, but not more than 60 days from the date notice is given, any person, firm, or corporation having an interest in the building or structure may file a written request for a hearing before the city governing body, together with any objection to the finding by the board that the building or structure is unsafe to the extent of creating a public nuisance. The filing of the request shall delay any action on the finding of the board until a determination is made. A hearing shall be held not less than 10 nor more than 60 days after the request. At the hearing, or in the event no hearing is timely requested, after the expiration of 60 days from the date the notice is given, the governing body shall determine whether or not the building or structure is unsafe to the extent that it creates a public nuisance. Notice of the meeting of the governing body, and that a determination will be made at the meeting, shall be published one time in a newspaper of general circulation in the city, not less than 10 days prior thereto. If a building or structure is determined to be unsafe to the extent that it creates a public nuisance, the governing body shall order the building or structure to be demolished and removed 30 days following the determination. The city may actually perform, or contract for the performance of the demolition and removal of the building structure, and may sell or otherwise dispose of salvaged materials resulting from the demolition and removal.

(b) Any person aggrieved by the decision of the governing body at the hearing may, within 30 days thereafter, appeal to the circuit court upon filing with the clerk of the court notice of the appeal and bond for security of costs in the form and amount approved by the circuit clerk. Upon filing the notice and bond, the clerk shall serve a copy of the notice of appeal on the city clerk. The appeal shall be docketed in the court as a preferred case. The city clerk shall, upon receiving the notice, file with the circuit clerk a copy of the findings and determination of the governing body. A trial shall then be held without a jury upon the determination of the governing body.

(Acts 1992, No. 92-572, p. 1182, §3.)