(a) The commission may do all of the following:
(1) Adopt bylaws and rules and regulations pursuant to this chapter.
(2) Meet at least once each month and specially as it deems necessary and as provided in the bylaws.
(3) Provide printed forms to be used as shall be necessary to govern its proceedings and to effectuate the provisions of this chapter.
(4) Cause studies to be made as it deems necessary.
(5) Perform its functions directly through its own agents or employees, or may contract with others for specific or general services to carry out its purposes hereunder.
(b) It shall keep a record of its proceedings and a register of all applications made to it and its action thereon, all of which shall be public records.