The following words and phrases used in this chapter, and others evidently intended as the equivalent thereof, shall, in the absence of a clear implication herein otherwise, be given the following respective interpretations herein:
(1) APPLICANT. A natural person who files a written application with the governing body of any county or municipality in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-89A-3.
(2) AUTHORITY. Any public corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(3) AUTHORIZING RESOLUTION. A resolution or ordinance adopted by the governing body of any county or municipality in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-89A-3, that authorizes the incorporation of an authority.
(4) BOARD. The board of directors of an authority.
(5) BONDS. Bonds, notes, or other obligations representing an obligation to pay money.
(6) COSTS. As applied to a facility or any portion thereof, such term shall include all or any part of the cost of construction, acquisition, alteration, enlargement, extension, reconstruction, improvement, and remodeling of a facility, including all lands, structures, real or personal property, rights, rights-of-way, franchises, easements, permits, approvals, licenses, and certificates and interests acquired or used for, in connection with or with respect to a facility, the cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring lands to which such buildings or structures may be moved, the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, underwriters' commissions or discounts, interest prior to, during, and for a period of six months following estimated completion of such construction and acquisition, provisions for reserves for both principal and interest and for maintenance, extensions, enlargements, additions, and improvements to any facilities then being or theretofore acquired and all other amounts authorized by any authority to be paid into any special funds from proceeds of bonds issued by the authority, the cost of architectural, engineering, financial, and legal services, plans, specifications, studies, surveys, estimates of cost and revenues, administrative expenses, expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing a facility, and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the construction and acquisition of a facility, the financing of such construction and acquisition and the placing of a facility in operation.
(7) COUNTY. Any county in the state.
(8) DETERMINING COUNTY. With respect to an authority, any county the governing body of which shall have made findings and determinations of fact pertaining to the organization of such authority in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-89A-3.
(9) DETERMINING MUNICIPALITY. With respect to an authority, any municipality the governing body of which shall have made findings and determinations of fact pertaining to the organization of such authority in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-89A-3.
(10) DETERMINING SUBDIVISION. With respect to an authority, any determining county or determining municipality.
(11) FACILITY. All or any part of either or both of (i) a solid waste disposal facility, and (ii) a resource recovery facility, including all land, rights-of-way, property rights, franchise rights, machinery, equipment, vehicles, furniture, fixtures, and all other property, rights, easements, and interests necessary or desirable in connection therewith.
(12) GOVERNING BODY. With respect to a municipality, its city or town council, board of commissioners, or other like governing body exercising the legislative functions of a municipality and, with respect to a county, its county commission or other like governing body exercising the legislative functions of a county.
(13) INCORPORATORS. The persons forming a public corporation pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(14) MUNICIPALITY. An incorporated municipality in the state.
(15) PERSON. The state, a municipality, a county, or any political subdivision or agency of the state or county or a municipality, a public corporation, or any private corporation, individual, partnership, trust, or foundation.
(16) RESOURCE RECOVERY FACILITY. Such term shall include any land, building, plant, system, facility, equipment, or other property, or any combination of either thereof, used or useful or capable of future use in connection with the extracting, converting to energy, or otherwise separating and preparing solid waste for reuse.
(17) RECOVERED RESOURCE. Material or energy in any form whatsoever, including but not limited to steam, gas, or electricity, which are or may be collected or recovered from or with respect to solid waste.
(18) REVENUES. All rentals, receipts, income, and other charges derived or received or to be derived or received by the authority from any of the following: The operation by the authority of a facility or facilities, or part of either thereof; the sale, including installment sales or conditional sales, lease, sublease, or use or other disposition of any facility or portion thereof; the sale, lease, or other disposition of recovered resources; contracts, agreements, or franchises with respect to a facility (or portion thereof), with respect to recovered resources, or with respect to a facility (or portion thereof) and recovered resources, including but not limited to charges with respect to the disposal of solid waste received with respect to a facility, income received as a result of the sale or other disposition of recovered resources; any gift or grant received with respect thereto; proceeds of bonds to the extent of use thereof for payment of principal of, premium, if any, or interest on the bonds as authorized by the authority; proceeds from any insurance, condemnation, or guaranty pertaining to a facility or property mortgaged to secure bonds or pertaining to the financing of a facility; income and profit from the investment of the proceeds of bonds or of any revenues and the proceeds of any special tax to which it may be entitled.
(19) SOLID WASTE. Any garbage, refuse, or sludge from a waste treatment plant, water supply treatment plant, or air pollution control facility and other discarded materials, including solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained gaseous material resulting from industrial, commercial, mining, and agricultural operations, and from community activities.
(20) SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL FACILITY. Such term shall include any land, building, plant, system, facility, trucks, and other motor vehicles, equipment or other property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or any combination of either thereof, used or useful or capable of future use in connection with the collection, storage, treatment, utilization, recycling, processing, transporting, or disposal of solid waste, including transfer stations, incinerators, sanitary landfill facilities, or other facilities necessary or desirable in connection therewith.
(21) SPECIAL TAX. Any tax which may be levied for the benefit of an authority or any facility owned or operated by it or the proceeds of which may have been appropriated, allocated, or apportioned to such authority, or to or for the benefit of any such facility, by the Legislature or by the governing body of a county or municipality.
(22) STATE. The State of Alabama.