Wherever used in this article, unless a different meaning clearly appears in the context, the following terms shall be given the respective interpretations specified in this section:
(1) COUNTY. Each county in the state.
(2) GOVERNING BODY. The county commission of a county.
(3) MUNICIPALITY. A municipal corporation in the state.
(4) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(5) WATERWORKS SYSTEM. Facilities for the gathering, collecting, impounding, treatment, transmission and distribution or any of them of water for domestic use or for industrial use or both, together with all appurtenances to any such facilities and all property used or useful in connection with such facilities, including franchises.