The following words and phrases used in this chapter, and others evidently intended as the equivalent thereof, shall, in the absence of a clear implication herein otherwise, be given the following respective interpretations herein:
(1) APPLICANT. A natural person who files a written application with the governing body of any county or municipality in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-97-3 hereof.
(2) AUTHORIZING RESOLUTION. A resolution of ordinance adopted by the governing body of any county or municipality in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-97-3 hereof, that authorizes the incorporation of a corporation.
(3) BOARD. The board of directors of a corporation.
(4) BONDS. Bonds, notes, or other obligations representing an obligation to pay money.
(5) CORPORATION. Any public corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(6) COSTS. As applied to a facility or any portion thereof, shall include all or any part of the cost of construction, acquisition, alteration, enlargement, extension, reconstruction, improvement, and remodeling of a facility, including all lands, structures, real or personal property, rights, rights-of-way, franchises, easements, permits, approvals, licenses, and certificates and interests acquired or used for, in connection with or with respect to a facility, the cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring lands to which such buildings or structures may be moved, the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, underwriters' commissions or discounts, interest prior to, during, and following completion of such construction and acquisition, provisions for reserves for both principal and interest and for maintenance, extensions, enlargements, additions, and improvements to any facilities then being or theretofore acquired and all other amounts authorized by any corporation to be paid into any special funds from proceeds of bonds issued by the corporation, the cost of architectural, engineering, financial and legal services, plans, specifications, studies, surveys, estimates of cost and revenues, administrative expenses, expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing a facility, and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the construction and acquisition of a facility, the financing of such construction and acquisition, and the placing of a facility in operation.
(7) COUNTY. Any county in the state.
(8) DETERMINING COUNTY. With respect to a corporation, any county the governing body of which shall have made findings and determinations of fact pertaining to the organization of such corporation in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-97-3.
(9) DETERMINING MUNICIPALITY. With respect to a corporation, any municipality the governing body of which shall have made findings and determinations of fact pertaining to the organization of such corporation, in accordance with the provisions of Section 11-97-3.
(10) DETERMINING SUBDIVISION. With respect to a corporation, any determining county or determining municipality and, with respect to an instrumentality, the county or municipality or combination thereof whose governing body is empowered to incorporate or otherwise establish such instrumentality.
(11) DIRECTOR. A member of the board of a corporation.
(12) ELIGIBLE INVESTMENT. Includes:
a. Any time deposit with, or any certificate of deposit issued by, (i) any bank which is organized under the laws of the United States of America or any state thereof and deposits in which are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or any department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States of America that may succeed to the functions of such corporation or (ii) any savings and loan association which is organized under the laws of the United States of America or any state thereof and deposits in which are insured by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation or any department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States of America that may succeed to the functions of such corporation;
b. Any debt securities that are direct, general obligations of the United States of America;
c. Any debt securities the payment of the principal of and interest on which is unconditionally guaranteed by the United States of America;
d. Any debt securities that are direct, general obligations of any agencies or instrumentalities of the United States of America, including the following: The Export-Import Banks of the United States, the Federal Farm Credit Banks, the Federal Land Banks, the Federal Intermediate Credit Banks, the Banks for Cooperatives, the Federal Home Loan Banks (including any joint obligations of any two or more of the foregoing agencies), the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (including participation certificates of the last named agency), the Government National Mortgage Association (including participation certificates of the last named agency), the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Federal Reimbursement Bank, and the Farmers Home Administration;
e. Any debt securities that are direct, general obligations of the Federal National Mortgage Association;
f. Prime commercial paper or finance company paper which is rated not less than prime one or the equivalent thereof by Moody's Investors Service, Inc., or Standard & Poor's Corporation, or their successors;
g. Units of investment in any money market fund which is rated not less favorably than A (or the equivalent thereof) by Moody's Investors Service, Inc., or Standard & Poor's Corporation, or their successors; and
h. Any debt obligation in which an insurance company organized under the laws of the state may legally invest its money at the time of investment by an authority.
(13) FACILITY. Property or collections of property used to provide utility services, including all land, rights-of-way, property rights, franchise rights, buildings and other structures, machinery, equipment, vehicles, furniture, fixtures, reservoirs, wells, intakes, mains, laterals, pipes, aqueducts, and all other property, rights, easements, and interests necessary or desirable in connection therewith.
(14) GOVERNING BODY. With respect to a municipality, its city or town council, board of commissioners, or other like governing body exercising the legislative functions of a municipality and, with respect to a county, its county commission or other like governing body exercising the legislative functions of a county and, with respect to an instrumentality or Tannehill Furnace and Foundry Commission, its board of directors or other like governing body duly constituted to exercise the ultimate decision-making functions of such instrumentality or said Tannehill Furnace and Foundry Commission, as the case may be.
(15) GOVERNMENTAL USER. Any county or municipality, or any instrumentality of either thereof (including, without limitation to, any corporation incorporated hereunder) or Tannehill Furnace and Foundry Commission, that receives, participates in, or otherwise partakes of utility services pursuant to a utility services agreement.
(16) INCORPORATORS. The persons forming a public corporation pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(17) INSTRUMENTALITY. With respect to any county or municipality, any public corporation, public authority, board, commission or other similar body that is incorporated, established, or controlled by such county or municipality.
(18) MUNICIPALITY. An incorporated municipality in the state.
(19) PERSON. Any natural person, public or private corporation (including, without limitation to, any corporation incorporated hereunder), partnership, trust, foundation, government or governmental body, political subdivision, or other legal entity.
(20) PROVIDER. Any person that provides utility services to any user pursuant to a utility services agreement.
(21) REVENUES. All rentals, receipts, income, and other charges derived or received or to be derived or received by the corporation, from any of the following: The operation by the corporation of a facility or facilities, or part of either thereof; the sale, including installment sales or conditional sales, lease, sublease, or use or other disposition of any facility or portion thereof; repayment of any loan with respect to any facility or the operation thereof; contracts, agreements, or franchises with respect to a facility (or portion thereof); any gift or grant; proceeds of bonds to the extent of use thereof for payment of principal of, interest or premium, if any, on the bonds is authorized by the corporation; proceeds from any insurance, condemnation or guaranty pertaining to a facility or property mortgaged to secure bonds or pertaining to the financing of a facility; and income and profit from the investment of the proceeds of bonds or of any revenues.
(22) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(23) TANNEHILL FURNACE AND FOUNDRY COMMISSION. The "Tannehill Furnace and Foundry Commission" created under Article 10 of Chapter 9 of Title 41.
(24) UTILITY SERVICES. Any services for (i) the collection, treatment, and delivery of water, whether such water is used for human consumption or industrial use, and (ii) the collection, treatment, and disposal of sewage, wastewater, industrial effluent, or other fluid waste.
(25) UTILITY SERVICES AGREEMENT. Any agreement between or among one or more users and one or more providers, whether such agreement is in the form of a lease, a service contract, a contract of sale, or in any other form, pursuant to which a provider or providers shall agree to provide one or more utility services to, or for the benefit of, such user or users under circumstances in which the facilities for the provision of such utility services are financed, in whole or in part, by a corporation.
(26) USER. Any person that receives, participates in, or otherwise partakes of utility services pursuant to a utility services agreement, and includes any governmental user.