The Legislature, recognizing the need to eliminate the disparities in compensation of circuit and district judges due to county supplements and expense allowances in varying amounts authorized by local acts, shall phase out all local supplements and expense allowances as follows:
(1) No Supreme Court Justice, appellate judge, circuit judge, or district judge shall receive a cost-of-living raise during fiscal year 2000-2001, 2001-2002, or 2002-2003, other than as provided in Section 12-10A-1 and Act 90-111, 1990 Regular Session (Acts 1990, p. 132).
(2) Any county supplement or expense allowance authorized to be paid to a circuit or district judge in office on any day on or after October 1, 2000, to October 1, 2001, inclusive, shall be diminished by the amount the judge receives from the state for his or her bench experience pursuant to subdivision (2) of Section 12-10A-1.
(3) No salary supplement or expense allowance may increase after June 10, 1999.
(4) No county supplement or expense allowance shall be provided to any circuit or district judge who is first elected or appointed to office after October 1, 2001.
(5) If the implementation of subdivision (2) results in a reduction in salary supplements for a circuit or district judge who receives a supplement from more than one county, such reduction shall be divided proportionally among the affected counties.