Section 12-15-115

Original jurisdiction - Civil.

(a) A juvenile court shall also exercise original jurisdiction of the following civil proceedings:

(1) Removal of disabilities of nonage pursuant to Chapter 13 of Title 26.

(2) Proceedings for judicial consent for a person under the respective legal age to marry, to be employed, withdraw from school, or enlist in military service when this consent is required by law.

(3) Proceedings for the commitment of a minor or child with mental illness or an intellectual disability to the Department of Mental Health, as provided in Article 4 (commencing with Section 12-15-401).

(4) Proceedings for the adoption of a child when these proceedings have been transferred from probate court as provided by law.

(5) Proceedings for waiver of parental consent for a minor to have an abortion pursuant to Chapter 21 of Title 26.

(6) Proceedings to establish parentage of a child pursuant to the Alabama Uniform Parentage Act, Chapter 17 of Title 26.

(7) Proceedings to establish, modify, or enforce support, visitation, or custody when a juvenile court previously has established parentage.

(8) Proceedings to establish, modify, or enforce child and spousal support, or both, in cases brought pursuant to Title IV-D of the Social Security Act, including the Alabama Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, commencing at Section 30-3A-101, when an equivalent court of another state issued an order.

(9) Proceedings filed pursuant to the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, commencing at Section 30-3B-101, when an equivalent court of another state issued an order.

(10) Proceedings to establish grandparent visitation when filed as part of a juvenile court case involving the same child.

(b) A juvenile court also shall have original jurisdiction in proceedings concerning any child in either of the following instances:

(1) The child requires emergency medical treatment in order to preserve his or her life, prevent permanent physical impairment or deformity, or alleviate prolonged agonizing pain.

(2) Where it is alleged that the rights of a child are improperly denied or infringed in proceedings resulting in suspension, expulsion, or exclusion from a public school.

(c) All civil cases before the juvenile court shall be governed by the laws relating thereto and shall be initiated by filing a petition or complaint with the clerk of the juvenile court, with the exception that the proceedings provided in Section 12-15-132 shall be initiated through the juvenile court intake office.

(Act 2008-277, p. 441, §4; Act 2012-383, p. 1011, §1.)