(a) The State Team is created and shall consist of a representative appointed by the head of the following departments, agencies, or organizations: The Department of Education, the Department of Human Resources, the Department of Mental Health, the Department of Public Health, the Department of Youth Services, and the Alabama Chief Probation Officers Association.
(b) The appointments to the State Team shall be for a term of three years beginning October 1, 1993, and each three years thereafter and until their successors are appointed, except that the initial appointments of the representatives of the Department of Human Resources and the Department of Mental Health shall be for three years; the initial appointments of the representatives of the Department of Education and the Department of Youth Services shall be for two years; and the initial appointments of representatives of the Department of Public Health and the Alabama Chief Probation Officers Association shall be for one year. Any vacancies in the appointed positions shall be filled in like manner as their predecessors and shall serve for the remainder of the term of their predecessors and until a successor is appointed. Representatives may be reappointed for additional terms.
(c) The State Team shall annually select one of its members to serve as chair and may select other officers as needed.
(d) The State Team shall meet at least monthly at a time and place that is mutually agreeable.
(e) The State Team shall:
(1) Develop and implement interagency plans for statewide services for multiple needs children.
(2) Develop guidelines, policies, and procedures for the allocation of available resources for services to multiple needs children. These guidelines, policies, and procedures shall be approved by the Executive Council of the State Team.
(3) Be authorized to exchange records, documents, and information among members of the state and county teams as well as the departments or agencies the members represent for the purposes of assessment, planning, and delivery of services to children.
(4) Consult with the county teams to ensure that all efforts to provide services locally and in the least restrictive environment are exhausted before a case is referred to the State Team. Upon receiving a referral, the State Team shall develop a plan which shall be binding on the county team. The State Team may allocate resources to implement the plan for services and treatment in accordance with the budget approved by the Executive Council of the State Team.
(5) The State Team may accept and use funds available to it from all sources, including, but not limited to, grants, appropriations, gifts, and donations for the purpose of implementing this section. All these funds shall be deposited into the State Multiple Needs Children Fund, which shall be under the management of the State Team. Moneys of the fund may be withdrawn by vouchers authorized by the Director of the Multiple Needs Child Office in accordance with the operations plan approved by the Executive Council of the State Team.
(6) The State Team shall report periodically to the Alabama Children's Policy Council on the services available within the state, the number of cases upon which the State Team has been consulted or requested to formulate a service plan, and budgetary needs or constraints affecting delivery of services.
(f) The State Team may employ staff, conditioned upon appropriation of funds, to carry out the duties of the State Team. Employment may be through contract or appointment pursuant to the State Merit System, utilizing one of the member departments or agencies as the appointing or contracting authority. Supervision of the Director of the Multiple Needs Child Office shall be by the chair of the State Team.