Each county shall constitute a district and shall have one resident district judge, except that:
(1) Baldwin, Lee, Etowah, Russell, Talladega, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Houston, Dale, Shelby, Marshall, Cullman, Chambers, Elmore, Limestone, and St. Clair Counties shall each have two resident district judges.
(2) Montgomery, Morgan, and Calhoun Counties shall have three resident district judges.
(3) Madison County shall have four resident district judges.
(4) Mobile County shall have five resident district judges.
(5) Jefferson County shall have 12 resident district judges, who shall be nominated and elected in the manner provided by law for the nomination and election of circuit judges in the county. Three of such district judges shall serve in the Bessemer division and nine shall serve in the Birmingham division. The district judgeship created by Act 96-751 shall be assigned to the Family Court Division of Jefferson County, Birmingham Division.