(a) The commission shall consist of the following voting members:
(1) The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, or at his or her designation, a sitting or retired judge, who shall serve as chair, or at his or her designation another member of the commission shall serve as chair.
(2) The Governor, or his or her designee.
(3) The Attorney General, or his or her designee.
(4) Three district attorneys appointed by the President of the Alabama District Attorneys' Association.
(5) Two circuit judges, active or retired, appointed by the President of the Alabama Association of Circuit Court Judges.
(6) A district judge, active or retired, appointed by the President of the Alabama Association of District Court Judges.
(7) Two victims of a violent felony or persons whose immediate family member was a victim of a violent felony, appointed by the Governor.
(8) The Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, or his or her designee who is a member of the House Judiciary Committee.
(9) The Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, or his or her designee who is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
(10) A private attorney specializing in criminal defense appointed by the President of the Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers' Association.
(11) A private attorney specializing in criminal law appointed by the President of the Alabama Lawyer's Association.
(12) A county commissioner appointed by the Governor.
(13) The Commissioner of the Department of Corrections, or his or her designee.
(14) The Chair of the Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles, or his or her designee.
(15) A member of the academic community with a background in criminal justice or corrections policy appointed by the Chief Justice.
(16) A sheriff appointed by the Sheriff's Association.
(17) An active police officer appointed by the Association of Chiefs of Police.
(b)(1) Appointed members of the commission shall serve terms of four years and may be reappointed for a second term. Members of the commission who serve because of their public office or position shall serve only as long as they hold such office or position.
(2) A member appointed to fill a vacancy on the commission which occurs before the expiration of the term for which his or her predecessor was appointed shall serve only for the remainder of such term.
(3) The membership of the commission shall be inclusive and reflect the racial, gender, geographic, urban/rural, and economic diversity of this state.