The commission shall have the following responsibilities:
(1) To review state sentencing structure, including laws, policies, and practices, and recommend changes to the criminal code, criminal rules of procedure, and other aspects of sentencing necessary to accomplish the purposes and objectives of this article.
(2) To review the overcrowding problem in county jails, with particular emphasis on funding for the county jails and the proper removal of state prisoners from county jails pursuant to state law and state and federal court orders, and to make recommendations for resolution of these issues to the Governor, Legislature, Attorney General, and Judicial System Study Commission before the 2002 Regular Legislative Session.
(3) To make recommendations to the Governor, Legislature, Attorney General, and Judicial System Study Commission concerning the enactment of laws relating to criminal offenses, sentencing, and correctional or probation matters.
(4) To publish an annual report and other reports as the chair deems necessary.
(5) To serve as a clearinghouse for the collection, preparation, and dissemination of information on sentencing practices.
(6) To maintain and make available for public inspection records of actions taken by the commission.