(a) An individual claiming to be a resident for purposes of this chapter shall certify by a signed statement each of the following:
(1) A specific address or location within the State of Alabama as his or her residence.
(2) An intention to remain at this address indefinitely.
(3) Possession of more substantial connections with the State of Alabama than with any other state.
(b) Though certification of an address and an intent to remain in the state indefinitely shall be prerequisites to establishing status as a resident, ultimate determination of that status shall be made by the institution by evaluating the presence or absence of connections with the State of Alabama. This evaluation shall include the consideration of all of the following connections.
(1) Consideration of the location of high school graduation.
(2) Payment of Alabama state income taxes as a resident.
(3) Ownership of a residence or other real property in the state and payment of state ad valorem taxes on the residence or property.
(4) Full-time employment in the state.
(5) Residence in the state of a spouse, parents, or children.
(6) Previous periods of residency in the state continuing for one year or more.
(7) Voter registration and voting in the state; more significantly, continuing voter registration in the state that initially occurred at least one year prior to the initial registration of the student in Alabama at a public institution of higher education.
(8) Possession of state or local licenses to do business or practice a profession in the state.
(9) Ownership of personal property in the state, payment of state taxes on the property, and possession of state license plates.
(10) Continuous physical presence in the state for a purpose other than attending school, except for temporary absences for travel, military service, and temporary employment.
(11) Membership in religious, professional, business, civic, or social organizations in the state.
(12) Maintenance in the state of checking and savings accounts, safe deposit boxes, or investment accounts.
(13) In-state address shown on selective service registration, driver's license, automobile title registration, hunting and fishing licenses, insurance policies, stock and bond registrations, last will and testament, annuities, or retirement plans.