As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) ACTION. Condemnation action.
(2) APPRAISAL. An opinion as to the value of or compensation payable for property, prepared by the owner or under the direction of an individual qualified by knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education to express an opinion as to the value of property.
(3) BUSINESS. A lawful activity, whether or not for profit, other than a farm operation, conducted primarily for the purchase, sale, lease, rental, manufacture, processing, or marketing of products, commodities, or other property, or for providing services.
(4) CONDEMN. To take property under the power of eminent domain.
(5) CONDEMNATION ACTION. Includes all acts incident to the process of condemning property after commencement of suit until the entry of final judgment.
(6) CONDEMNEE. A person who has or claims an interest in property that is the subject of a prospective or pending condemnation action.
(7) CONDEMNOR. A person empowered to condemn.
(8) CROPS. Any form of vegetation intended to be removed and used or sold for commercial purposes, including grass, flowers, fruits, vegetables, trees, vines, and nursery stock.
(9) FARM OPERATION. Any activity conducted primarily for the production of one or more agricultural products or commodities, including timber, for sale or home use, and customarily producing those products or commodities in sufficient quantity to be capable of contributing materially to the operator's support.
(10) IMPROVEMENT. Includes any building or structure and any facility, machinery, or equipment that cannot be removed from the real property on which it is situated without substantial damage to the real property or improvement.
(11) LIEN. A security interest in property arising from contract, mortgage, deed or trust, statute, common law, equity, or creditor action.
(12) LITIGATION EXPENSES. The sum of the costs, disbursements, and expenses, including reasonable attorney, appraisal, and engineering fees, necessary to prepare for anticipated or participation in actual probate or circuit court proceedings.
(13) LOCAL PUBLIC ENTITY. A public entity other than the state.
(14) PERSON. Includes a natural individual, partnership, corporation, association, other legal or fiduciary entity, and a public entity.
(15) PERSONAL PROPERTY. Any property other than real property which is affixed or directly related to the real property proposed to be acquired.
(16) PROPERTY. An interest in real or personal property under the law of this state.
(17) REAL PROPERTY. Land and any improvements upon or connected with land; and includes an easement, servitude, or other interest therein.
(18) WORK. Includes construction, alteration, repair, remodeling, excavation, demolition, rehabilitation, relocation, and landscaping.
(19) VALUATION DATE. Shall be the date on which the application for order of condemnation is filed in the probate court or the date of taking of or damage to property by the condemnor whichever date first occurs.