Section 19-3A-413

Property not productive of income.

(a) If a marital deduction is allowed for all or part of a trust whose assets consist substantially of property that does not provide the spouse with sufficient income from or use of the trust assets, and if the amounts that the fiduciary transfers from principal to income pursuant to Section 19-3A-104, if applicable, and distributes to the spouse from principal pursuant to the terms of the trust are insufficient to provide the spouse with the beneficial enjoyment required to obtain the marital deduction, then the spouse may require the fiduciary (1) to make property productive of income, (2) to convert property within a reasonable time or (3) to exercise the power conferred by Section 19-3A-104(a), if applicable. The fiduciary may decide which action or combination of actions to take.

(b) In cases not governed by subsection (a), a fiduciary shall allocate to principal the proceeds from the sale or other disposition of an asset without regard to the amount of income the asset produces during any accounting period.

(Act 2000-675, p. 1343, §1.)