When used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) BOARD. The Board of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama.
(2) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama.
(3) DEALER. Any person engaged in the business of buying livestock in the State of Alabama for resale, exchange or slaughter and meat packing purposes, either on his or her own account or as agent for others on a commission basis or otherwise.
(4) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama.
(5) LIVESTOCK. Cattle, swine, sheep, goats, equidae, ratites, poultry, and catfish.
(6) LIVESTOCK MARKET. A place, concentration, or collection point or other public or private place where a person assembles livestock for either public or private sale by himself or herself and the service or the cost or expense thereof is compensated by the owner of the livestock on a commission basis or otherwise. The term does not include any of the following:
a. A place used on a temporary basis solely for the dispersal sale of the livestock of a farmer, dairy farmer, livestock breeder, or feeder who is discontinuing his or her business and where no other livestock is sold or offered for sale.
b. A farm, ranch, or place where livestock is raised or kept for the grazing season or for fattening and subsequently sold and where no other livestock is brought there for sale or offered for sale.
c. The premises of a butcher, packer, or processor that receives livestock exclusively for immediate slaughter.
d. A place where livestock is raised solely for breeding purposes and the owner exclusively sells animals he or she produced.
e. A place where a producer or an association of producers of livestock of any class assemble and sell or offer for sale any livestock, provided the producer or association manages the sale and assumes all responsibility for the sale and the title to the livestock sold.
f. A place used on a temporary basis solely for livestock sales of 4-H clubs, Future Farmers of America, or other similar youth organizations.
(7) LIVESTOCK MARKET OWNER. A person engaged in the business of conducting or operating a public livestock market whether personally or through agents or employees.
(8) PERSON. Any individual, partnership, corporation, association or other business unit.