(a) The commissioner shall execute the agricultural and industrial policies of the State Board of Agriculture and Industries. It shall be his duty:
(1) To investigate and ascertain the industrial possibilities of the State of Alabama and to seek to secure the development of the same;
(2) To collect statistics in regard to industrial development in the State of Alabama;
(3) To make investigations as to any matter relative to industrial development and possibilities;
(4) To cooperate in the fostering and development of the industrial interests of the state;
(5) To cooperate especially in the promotion, establishment and location of industries in the smaller municipalities and rural communities of the state which use as a raw material farm products of any character;
(6) To cooperate with the state chamber of commerce, local chambers of commerce and all local industrial boards to promote the purposes of this title; and
(7) To employ such clerical assistants, agents or representatives and to secure such expert advice or assistance as may be necessary for carrying out the purposes of this title and any other provision of this Code or other statute which he is authorized to administer or enforce.
(b) In the discharge of the functions, duties and powers placed upon, vested in and to be exercised by him in accordance with the provisions of this title and any other provision of this Code or other statute which he is authorized to administer or enforce, the Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries shall have the right to call on all state departments, institutions, agencies, bureaus, boards or commissions for assistance, reports, advice and information, and it shall be the duty of such departments, institutions, agencies, bureaus, boards or commissions to comply with such request.