The responsibilities of the center shall be as follows:
(1) To assess the current status and development of sources of alternative fuels as defined in subsection (c) of Section 2-2-90.
(2) To act as an information center for alternative fuels.
(3) To create an information clearinghouse for available federal grant funds and to provide information regarding these grants to individuals, businesses, and political subdivisions interested in developing sources of alternative fuels.
(4) To establish criteria for matching potential grant applicants with available grants.
(5) To promote alternative fuels as a viable energy source in this state.
(6) To ensure that alternative fuels sold in Alabama meet ASTM standards.
(7) To receive and expend funds paid to the Alternative Fuel Research and Development Fund through the income tax check-off program created in Section 2-2-93 and to expend and disburse the funds for the purposes in Section 2-2-93.