When used in this chapter or in rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, the following words and terms shall have the meaning ascribed to them, except where the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) BRAND NAME. Any word, name, symbol or device, or any combination thereof, identifying the commercial feed of a distributor or licensee and distinguishing it from that of others.
(2) COMMERCIAL FEED. Such term includes customer-formula feed, as this term is used in this chapter, and means any material whether simple, mixed compound, ground, unground, organic or inorganic, used as a feed for animals other than man or any material including minerals, vitamins, antibiotics, anti-oxidants, medicines, drugs, chemicals and other substances, materials or elements, or parts thereof intended for use or used as an ingredient or component of a mixture of materials, used as a feed for animals other than man; provided, that the commissioner, with approval of the board and by regulation, may exempt from this definition or from specific provisions of this chapter, commodities such as unprocessed and unmixed whole seeds, hay, straw, stover, silage, cobs, husks, hulls and individual chemical compounds or substances when such commodities, compounds or substances are not intermixed or mixed with other materials and are not adulterated within the meaning of subdivision (1) of Section 2-21-22.
(3) CONTAINER. Any bag, box, barrel, package, carton, object, apparatus, device, appliance or other container into which commercial feed is packed, stored or placed for handling and transporting.
(4) CONTRACT FEEDER. A person who, as an independent contractor, feeds commercial feed to animals pursuant to a contract whereby such commercial feed is supplied, furnished or otherwise provided to such person and whereby such person's remuneration is determined all or in part by feed consumption, mortality, profits or amount or quality of product. A manufacturer of a "vertical-integrator feed" is not a contract feeder.
(5) CUSTOMER-FORMULA FEED. Commercial feed which consists of a mixture of commercial feeds and/or feed ingredients, each batch of which is manufactured according to the specific instructions of the final purchaser.
(6) DISTRIBUTE. To offer for sale, sell, exchange or barter commercial feed; or to supply, furnish or otherwise provide commercial feed to a contract feeder.
(7) DISTRIBUTOR. Any person who distributes.
(8) DRUG. Any substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in animals other than man and substances other than feed intended to affect the structure or any function of the animal body.
(9) FEED INGREDIENT. Each of the constituent materials making up a commercial feed.
(10) LABEL. A display of written, printed or graphic matter upon or affixed to the container in which a commercial feed is distributed, or on the invoice or delivery slip with which a commercial feed is distributed.
(11) LABELING. All labels and other written, printed or graphic matter
a. Upon a commercial feed or any of its containers or wrapper, or
b. Accompanying such commercial feed.
(12) MANUFACTURE. To grind, mix or blend, or further process, a commercial feed for distribution.
(13) MINERAL FEED. A commercial feed intended to supply primarily mineral elements or inorganic nutrients.
(14) OFFICIAL SAMPLE. A sample of feed taken by the commissioner or his agent in accordance with Section 2-21-26.
(15) PERCENT or PERCENTAGES. Parts per hundred by weight.
(16) PERMITTED ANALYTICAL VARIATION. Allowances for the inherent variability in sampling and in laboratory analyses of guaranteed components, as published by the Association of American Feed Control Officials from time to time in its official publication. Manufacturing variation and their effects on the guaranteed components are not included in such value.
(17) PERSON. Such term includes individual, partnership, corporation, cooperatives and associations.
(18) PET. Any domesticated animal normally maintained in or near the household of the owner thereof.
(19) PET FOOD. Any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by pets.
(20) PRODUCT NAME. The name of the commercial feed which identifies it as to kind, class or specific use.
(21) PURCHASER and CUSTOMER-BUYER. Any person, firm, organization, agency, association or group who buys or otherwise acquires a commercial feed, customer-formula feed or custom-mix or custom-mill services.
(22) SPECIALTY PET. Any domesticated animal pet normally maintained in a cage or tank, such as, but not limited to, gerbils, hamsters, canaries, psittacine birds, mynahs, finches, tropical fish, goldfish, snakes and turtles.
(23) SPECIALTY PET FOOD. Any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by specialty pets.
(24) TON. A net weight of two thousand pounds avoirdupois. The metric ton is a unit of weight equal to one thousand kilograms of 2204.62 pounds avoirdupois.
(25) VERTICAL-INTEGRATOR FEED. A commercial feed manufactured for feeding livestock, poultry or aquatic animals that are owned by the person manufacturing the feed or that are owned by subsidiaries, parents or other business entities associated with the manufacturer through common ownership.
(26) BOARD. The State Board of Agriculture and Industries.