(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, any funds appropriated to the commission by the Legislature of the State of Alabama shall be used by the commission, through the Alabama State Fair Authority, a public corporation created under Acts 1947, No. 215, in the manner provided in this article in paying premiums, rewards, or prizes for the following:
(1) Beef cattle, dairy cattle, sheep, goats, hogs, equine or equidae, and other livestock.
(2) Agricultural shows or exhibits.
(3) Fine arts (art exhibits, including portraits, paintings, drawings, sculpture, and molding of pottery).
(4) Exhibits of an educational character portraying important phases of community life.
(5) Educational shows and exhibits for participation therein by students.
(6) Home economics, including cooking, sewing, preserving, and other activities of women.
(7) Exhibits of 4-H Clubs, Future Farmers of America, and Future Homemakers of America.
(8) Poultry shows or exhibits.
(9) Rabbit shows or exhibits.
(10) Dog shows or exhibits.
(11) Flower shows or exhibits.
The exhibits and shows referred to in subdivisions (1) to (11), inclusive, are hereinafter referred to as "the exhibits."
(b) The funds appropriated to the commission for use in a fiscal year shall be referred to in this article as the "annual appropriation." At each annual state fair, the commission, through the Alabama State Fair Authority, shall pay the premiums, awards, or prizes provided for in this section by using the annual appropriation for the fiscal year in which the fair is held and no more. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prohibit the Alabama State Fair Authority from spending additional money for premiums, awards, or prizes.