(a) The commission shall consist of the following members:
(1) Two members shall be appointed by the Governor.
(2) One member shall be appointed by the University of South Alabama Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center.
(3) One member shall be appointed by the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
(4) One member shall be appointed by the Children's Hospital of Birmingham.
(5) Each of the seven chapters of the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America-Alabama Chapter, Incorporated, shall appoint one member.
(b) Appointees to the commission shall be citizens of this state and shall be subject to confirmation by the Senate, and upon confirmation, serve for a term of four years. The membership of the commission shall be inclusive and reflect the racial, gender, geographic, urban/rural, and economic diversity of the state. The commission shall annually report to the Legislature by the second legislative day of each regular session the extent to which the commission has complied with the diversity provisions of this subsection. In the event of the death or resignation of any member of the commission, a successor shall be appointed by the original appointing authority and the successor appointed to the vacancy shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term. The members shall elect from their membership a chair and a vice chair at an organizational meeting held no later than 30 days after appointments to the commission are confirmed.
(c) Members of the commission shall receive no salaries but may be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenditures incurred in the performance of their official duties pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 7 of Title 36. Expenses of the commission are to be paid from funds available to the commission.
(d) A member who has failed to attend three consecutive properly noticed meetings may be removed at the request of the commission.