(a) The State Board of Health is hereby designated as the sole and official State Health Planning and Development Agency.
(b) The State Board of Health is authorized and empowered:
(1) To conduct the health planning and development activities of the state;
(2) To prepare, review and revise as necessary a preliminary state health plan, which shall be made up of the health systems plans of the health systems agencies within the state, and which shall be submitted to the Statewide Health Coordinating Council for approval or disapproval and for use in developing the state health plan;
(3) Upon implementation of Title XVI of the Public Health Service Act and adoption of federal regulations thereto, to prepare, review and revise as necessary a State Medical Facilities Plan, which shall be submitted to the Statewide Health Coordinating Council for approval or disapproval as being consistent with the State Health Plan;
(4) To prepare, review, adopt and revise as necessary a State Medical Facilities Plan pursuant to Title VI of the Public Health Service Act, which plan shall become the basic review document for the certificate of need program as an interim plan until implementation of Title XVI of the Public Health Service Act;
(5) To assist the Statewide Health Coordinating Council in the review of the State Health Plan and the State Medical Facilities Plan;
(6) To assist the Statewide Health Coordinating Council in the administration of its functions;
(7) To serve as the designated planning agency for the purpose of Section 1122 of the Social Security Act (42 USC § 1320a-1);
(8) To make findings as to the need for such services, after consideration of recommendations of health systems agencies respecting new institutional health services;
(9) To review on a periodic basis all institutional services and make public its findings;
(10) To administer a health facilities construction program;
(11) To administer a program for the development of health resources;
(12) To cooperate with and assist health systems agencies in health planning and resource development activities;
(13) To provide for fair hearing procedures; and
(14) To perform such other functions as may be necessary to carry out the intent and purpose of this article.