(a) There is established the Health Care Information and Data Advisory Council to give advice and guidance to SHPDA in adopting rules necessary to implement this article, to review and serve as consultants to SHPDA on matters related to any reports or publications prior to a report or publication release, and to serve as consultants to SHPDA on matters relating to the protection, collection, and dissemination of health care reports.
(b) The council shall consist of the following members:
(1) Two members appointed by the Alabama Hospital Association.
(2) Two members appointed by the Alabama Nursing Home Association.
(3) One member appointed by the Assisted Living Association of Alabama.
(4) Two members appointed by the Alabama Hospice and Palliative Care Association.
(5) One member appointed by the Home Care Association of Alabama.
(6) One member appointed by the Chair of the SHCC.
(7) Two members appointed by the Alabama Ambulatory Surgery Center Association.
(8) One member appointed by the Commissioner of Mental Health.
(9) The Chair of the Certificate of Need Review Board, or his or her designee.
(c) The council membership shall be inclusive and reflect the racial, gender, geographic, urban/rural, and economic diversity of the state.
(d) The terms of the appointed members shall be staggered as follows: The Chair of the Certificate of Need Review Board or his or her designee shall divide the members into two equal groups. The members of the first group shall be appointed for an initial term of two years. The members of the second group shall be appointed for an initial term of four years. Thereafter, the term of office of each member shall be for four years. A member may serve two consecutive terms. A member shall serve until a successor is appointed. If a vacancy occurs, the original appointing authority shall fill the vacancy for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(e) The council shall meet within 30 days after the appointment of the council membership, elect a chair and establish procedures and other policies necessary to carry on the business of the council. A quorum shall be a majority of the appointed members. Notice of meetings of the council shall be given pursuant to the Alabama Open Meetings Act.