For the purposes of this article, the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) ALTERNATE CARE PROVIDER. A contractor, other than a regional care organization, that agrees to provide a comprehensive package of Medicaid benefits to Medicaid beneficiaries in a defined region of the state pursuant to a risk contract.
(2) CAPITATION PAYMENT. A payment the state Medicaid Agency makes periodically to a contractor on behalf of each recipient enrolled under a contract for the provision of medical services.
(3) CARE DELIVERY SYSTEM. The manner in which the benefits and services set forth in the state Medicaid plan are provided to Medicaid beneficiaries.
(4) COLLABORATOR. A private health carrier, third party purchaser, provider, health care center, health care facility, state and local governmental entity, or other public payers, corporations, individuals, and consumers who are expecting to collectively cooperate, negotiate, or contract with another collaborator or regional care organizations in the health care system.
(5) LONG-TERM CARE. Medicaid-funded nursing facility services or services in intermediate care facilities for the developmentally disabled, or home- and community-based support services provided to individuals who might otherwise require such services, or such other long-term care services as the Medicaid Agency may determine by rule.
(6) MEDICAID AGENCY. The Alabama Medicaid Agency or any successor agency of the state designated as the "single state agency" to administer the medical assistance program described in Title XIX of the Social Security Act.
(7) MEDICAID BENEFICIARY. Anyone determined by the Medicaid Agency to be eligible for Medicaid.
(8) QUALITY-ASSURANCE PROVISIONS. Specifications for assessing and improving the quality of care provided by a regional care organization or an alternative care plan.
(9) REGIONAL CARE ORGANIZATION. An organization of health care providers that contracts with the Medicaid Agency to provide a comprehensive package of Medicaid benefits to Medicaid beneficiaries in a defined region of the state and that meets the requirements set forth in this article.
(10) RISK CONTRACT. A contract under which the contractor assumes risk for the cost of the services covered under the contract and incurs loss if the cost of furnishing the services exceeds the payments under the contract.