As used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) ALABAMA HOME BUYERS INITIATIVE. A program that includes a conventional mortgage program not to exceed one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000) in aggregate loan amount to be administered by the program administrator, under which single family mortgage loans, as defined in Section 24-1A-2, are purchased by the program administrator and sold to the initial holder, and one or more alternative housing programs. No mortgage loan shall be made to any person who is not a citizen of the United States or is not legally present in the United States with appropriate documentation from the federal government.
(2) ALTERNATIVE HOUSING PROGRAM. Any program or other activity that is certified to the State Treasurer by the program administrator under Section 24-1A-44(c)(2), that will be administered by the program administrator, and that will promote home ownership in Alabama, including, without limitation, the establishment of reserve funds for housing initiatives, the payment of mortgage insurance premiums, and the establishment and administration of homeowner education programs. The program administrator may certify one or more alternative housing programs in order to utilize all funds on deposit in the mortgage guarantee fund.
(3) CERTIFIED AMOUNT. The dollar amount of funds on deposit in the mortgage guarantee fund that is certified to the State Treasurer by the program administrator under Section 24-1A-44(c)(1) as available for an alternative housing program.
(4) ELIGIBLE PROPERTIES. Both newly constructed residences and existing homes.
(5) FORECLOSURE BALANCE. The sum of (a) the unpaid principal balance of a qualified mortgage loan, (b) any interest accrued thereon through the date of foreclosure, and (c) foreclosure expenses, which shall include attorney fees, title work, recording or filing fees, escrow advances, and other actual expenses associated with a foreclosure sale.
(6) FORECLOSURE LOSS. The foreclosure balance for a qualified mortgage loan less its resale proceeds.
(7) HOLDER. Any person that owns a qualified mortgage loan.
(8) INVESTOR. The holder of a qualified mortgage loan on the date on which a foreclosure loss occurs with respect to such loan.
(9) MORTGAGE GUARANTEE FUND. The fund established under Section 24-1A-43.
(10) MORTGAGE GUARANTEE FUND FEE. A fee equal to one percent (1%) of the sales price of each home financed with a qualified mortgage loan under the Alabama Home Buyers Initiative.
(11) PERSON. Any individual, trust, estate, corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, or other entity of any kind.
(12) PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR. The Alabama Housing Finance Authority.
(13) QUALIFIED MORTGAGE LOAN. A mortgage loan secured by an eligible property originated under the Alabama Home Buyers Initiative.
(14) RESALE PROCEEDS. The net sales proceeds from the remarketing or resale of a residence following a foreclosure sale conducted under a qualified mortgage loan, which shall be equal to the sales price received in an arm's length sale less closing costs, commissions, property preservation, and reasonable and customary expenses associated with the sale of a residential property.